Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Sample menu:

Called to Serve

Search:

Called to Serve

Worship: 11:00 am | Sunday School: 9:45 am

50 Years of Service - Devoted Servants of Christ

Rev. Norman E Wegmeyer

Born in Alpena, Michigan, Norman graduated from Evangelical Lutheran Seminary located in Columbus, Ohio in 1948. Rev. Wegmeyer served as the first pastor of Good Shepherd from 1952 until 1955.

Rev. Wegmeyer started the Church in the Maryland Avenue School and saw the completion of the mission package church building and the parsonage.  He also served as Director of Parish Education from 1959-1963. Other churches he served were in Farmersville, Ohio; Toledo, Ohio; and Butler, Pennsylvania.   Rev. Wegmeyer currently lives in Columbus.

[Back to Top]
Rev. Robert T. Reiss

Born in New Philadelphia, Ohio, Robert graduated from Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary in 1954. He was chaplain in the US Navy 1954-56.

He was installed August 1956 and served until 1960. During his tenure confirmed membership grew to 270 members. Rev. Reiss also served as pastor in Mt Vernon, Ohio and Springfield, Ohio.  His twin brother Richard Reiss was also a pastor in Upper Arlington.

Rev. Reiss, 74, of Frazeysburg, Ohio, formerly of Springfield, Ohio, died Tuesday afternoon, July 22, 2003 at Genesis Morrison House in Zanesville, Ohio.

[Back to Top]
Rev. Richard C Bosse

Born in Janera, Ohio, Richard completed programs at Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary in 1956, Capital University, State University of Iowa, and The Ohio State University for his doctorate.

Rev. Bosse served from 1960 until 1967 as the third pastor of Good Shepherd. He came to Good Shepherd Lutheran from New Lebanon Evangelical Lutheran in Junction City, Ohio. Rev. Bosse oversaw the completion of the education unit, installation of the stained glass windows and pews.

[Back to Top]
Rev. John C Kromer

Born in Columbus Ohio, John was installed as Pastor at Good Shepherd in August 1967 and served until 1974. Prior to the seminary he attended Case University of Pennsylvania, and Western Reserve. Rev Kromer completed Seminary training at Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary. In 1963. Prior to Good Shepherd he served as pastor in Sandusky, Ohio. The Kromers have six children.

During his tenure the Alpha Omega scripting behind the altar was added to the sanctuary. Church improvements included purchase of an organ, carpeting, improved nave lighting and balcony remodeling. Church programs expanded to weekday preschool and sponsorship of boy scout troops.

[Back to Top]
Rev. William Mercer

Born in Columbus, Ohio, Bill graduated from Capital University and then completed his theological training at Trinity Lutheran Seminary. Serving Good Shepherd from 1975 until 1983, his ministry included services at the airport Drive In theater and puppets. He also installed a speaker system to communicate services to homebound members by telephone.

Prior to Good Shepherd he served as pastor in Derwood, Maryland; Huron, Ohio; and Poland, Ohio. The Mercers have three children: Peter, Joy and Paul. 

[Back to Top]
Rev. David Connor

David was born in 1954 at Cherrypoint, N.C. and attended Texas Lutheran College, Sequin, Texas, from which he graduated with a B.A. in 1976. He then attended Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, graduating in June 1980. Ordained August 24, 1980, he began his ministry as pastor of St. John Lutheran Church, Logan, Ohio where he was serving in 1983 when Good Shepherd called him.  Pastor Connor was installed 1983 and served until 1988. He developed the symbol of the Good Shepherd still used on the stationary today.

Pastor Connor is married to Pastor Paula Maeder Connor. They have two daughters: Brenna and Greer.

[Back to Top]
Rev. Constance O’Mealy Mentzer

Born 1956 in Alliance, Ohio, Connie graduated in 1980 from Bowling Green State University and was a Parish Worker at Bethany English Lutheran Church, Cleveland Ohio from 1981 to 1982. In 1986 she graduated from Trinity Lutheran Seminary and accepted her first call at Faith Lutheran Church in Jackson, OH.

Serving at Good Shepherd from 1989 until 1995, Pastor Connie brought back life and vitality, after years of financial concerns and decreasing membership left us feeling like church was a burden to carry. We began to smile and receive a lift when we came to church.

Pastor Connie was not just there on Sunday - she was an everyday pastor - Bible Study during the week; helping with property concerns physically as well as planning (she wielded a mean mop when the basement flooded - ed.) She was very much a hands-on pastor. Pastor Connie helped make us a "singing" church by introducing new liturgy and she, herself, chanted which gave us new lift. That's when we learned to chant the psalms.

Pastor Connie was a great presence in the neighborhood. She would go for walks and runs in the neighborhood and invite people she saw along the way. And people came as a result of that. Community involvement included entrance of floats in the Bexley parade and Headstart programs. Our afterschool program was instituted during her tenure. We kept that program going several years.

Pastor Connie married Timothy Mentzer on September 17 1994.

[Back to Top]
Rev. Louise Mollick

Having graduated from Hiram College with a degree in Elementary Education in 1971, Louise worked as an elementary school librarian, reading specialist and classroom teacher. She received a Master of Divinity degree from Trinity Lutheran Seminary May 1992 and was ordained July 19, 1992. Rev. Mollick served Zion Lutheran Church in North Canton, Ohio from 1992 until 1996. She was installed at Good Shepherd in 1996 and served until 1998.

Rev. Mollick instituted the use of the chant “Holy Spirit Come To Us’ used after the petitions in the prayers. She is married to Carl Mollick and has three children: Daniel, Jessica and Stephen.

[Back to Top]
Rev. Kathy Arbaugh-Patmon

Called to serve May 2001 supporting a two point parish in conjunction with Reformation Lutheran church.

Pastor Kathy was born in Ironton, Ohio. She graduated from Franklin University and later completed her Master of Divinity From Trinity Lutheran seminary in 1987. Her first call was to Faith Lutheran in Jackson Ohio. She brings a background from the business world of sales. Kathy and Sam have a daughter, Stephanie.

After a courageous and hard-fought struggle with cancer, Pastor Kathy Arbaugh-Patmon went home to Our Lord on Saturday, February 2, 2013.
She is survived by her husband Sam, and her daughter Stephanie.

[Back to Top]
Rev. David Ritchie

Pastor Ritchie graduated from OSU with a degree in agriculture. His primary prior work experience has been in the agricultural area (meat manager, arborist). David graduated from Trinity Lutheran Seminary in 2008, at which time he took the call to St. Paul’s in Ironton. He has a strong background in community outreach, youth and a strong one-on-one ministry.

Pastor Ritchie is married to Paula. They have two daughters Emmalee and Corrine, and four grandchildren.

Pastor’s hobbies are golf, movies, and outdoor activities such as fishing and camping.

[Back to Top]